Thursday 21 August 2008

Day 12 - Wednesday 20th August

Today's dilemma is a rather embarrassing one for poor Bran.

At his vet visit on Monday, the vet noted that both of Bran's testicles were present and fully descended. Also on Monday, Bran started attempting to hump Flora. Flora is not best pleased at this form of attention. She's not told him off for it yet, but looks very uncomfortable when he does.

In an attempt to head off any problems, I decided to make initial enquiries about having Bran neutered. As all of my previous dogs have been older rescue dogs, they had all already been done before coming to me so this isn't a decision that I've ever had to make before!

I spoke to the RSPCA clinic (which is attached to the Bristol Cats and Dogs Home) and they advised me that they are happy to castrate male puppies who have testicles present from 4 months and that the operation can be carried out with just a week's notice. They also advised that Bran could be microchipped whilst he was being castrated.

I'm happy to know that they are confident in this approach but really don't know whether I want to go ahead with it just yet as he is still very much my little baby boy. Although, he is quite mature in his attitude and personality.

I know that the subject of "early neutering" is a much debated one that tends to force strong opinions from people and there is much evidence to both support and condone it, but I don't really have a strong opinion for or against it. My strong opinion stands as per every other aspect of caring for a puppy/dog in that whatever decision is made it has to be the best thing AT THAT TIME for said puppy/dog.

I think that my decision for now will be to leave it and see how we go. What I really don't want is for Bran and Flora's relationship to be damaged because she is getting annoyed with his new form of attention, so if we reach a point where I feel that that has become a real risk then I will be making the appointment.

I'm going to start keeping a record of Bran's measurements on a Wednesday to watch how fast he grows. I already know he's grown lots since he's been here but we'll see what happens from here on in.

Today's measurements (16 weeks):

Neck: 12"
Back: 18"
Shoulder: 11"
Weight: 9.5kgs (using Monday's weigh-in for now)

No comments:

Post a Comment